Transporting your car across the state or to another country is a logistical puzzle. Whether you’re moving one or multiple vehicles, coordinating the move takes time and expertise.
We prepared this guide to help you successfully move your car. We’ll cover the benefits of hiring a moving company, how to choose one and tips for getting your car ready for the journey.
Hiring a moving company is a cost-effective solution.
If you’re moving one car, driving it yourself seems like a straightforward decision. Yet, there are several benefits in hiring a professional team instead. These benefits include:
- Access to moving experts – Professional movers understand the intricacies of long distance and international moves. These types of moves can be stressful when you’re unfamiliar with the process. The documentation requirements alone can be extensive, especially in an international move.
- Insurance coverage – A reliable moving company will provide insurance. You’ll have financial protection and peace of mind in case of damage to your vehicle.
- Reduced wear and tear on your vehicle – Dents, scratches and mechanical issues affect the car’s aesthetic appeal and reduces its value. By not driving your vehicle over a long distance, you maintain its value and save on costly repairs.
- Time and cost savings – Driving the car over long distances increases your fuel cost. You’ll also spend on accommodations if the journey lasts over many days. A moving company, on the other hand, can effectively manage this cost. They plan routes, optimize the load in their carriers and use fuel-efficient vehicles.
In addition, a skilled moving crew can predict and address any problems that occur during transportation. So, whether you’re moving one, or multiple vehicles, consider working with a moving company to get the job done right.
Choosing a Transportation Company
Depending on your needs, here are the types of movers you can choose from:
- Car transport companies – These companies specialize in car transportation. They offer several options like open or enclosed carriers and expedited shipping. They would be a great choice if you’re moving multiple cars.
- Luxury home moving companies – White-glove moving companies like The Padded Wagon offer comprehensive moving services. These services extend beyond moving household items to include car transportation.
- Freight and logistics companies – These companies would be a great choice if you’re moving the car to another country. With an extensive network of carriers and warehouses, they can transport your car to most destinations around the world.
Gather 3 to 5 moving companies to choose from. Compare quotes, read reviews and ask questions so you can make the most informed decision.
Tips to Get Your Car Ready for Transport
Planning and attention to detail are crucial in ensuring your car arrives safely. Here are 10 tips to prepare your car for the journey:
- Prepare documents like vehicle registration, insurance, and paperwork needed by the transport company.
- Maintain the vehicle. Check the tire pressure, and fix any leaks in the engine and transmission.
- Ensure the battery is in good condition. You may want to disconnect this to avoid drainage during the journey.
- Take a picture of the odometer.
- Inspect the vehicle with the movers present. Take pictures of the car, noting any pre-existing damage on the vehicle.
- Leave a quarter tank of gas for loading and unloading.
- Disable the alarm system to prevent it from going off during transport.
- Fold in mirrors and secure loose parts.
- If your car has toll tags, remove them or disable them.
- Clean the car and remove personal belongings.
Upon delivery, inspect the vehicle and review the bill of lading. The bill of lading is a vital document that shows the condition of your car before and after transportation.
Transporting your car doesn’t have to be complicated.
By planning ahead and hiring professionals, your car will safely reach its destination. Follow the tips in this guide so you can enjoy a stress-free transition into your new home.
The Padded Wagon moves cars, too.
Let us help you bring your vehicles to your new home. Ask us about transporting cars alongside your antiques and high-end items.
Call 212-222-4880 or book online at paddedwagon.com/book-online.